On 5/19/07, Tim Bray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Well Rob, I think the community at large and the IESG in particular
would welcome suggestions on what to do with this one.

Sorry Tim, can't agree with that assertion. At least some people seem
to be content with handwaving, if the current Atompub spec is any
indication of consensus.

In fact, we know what's going to happen:

There's no need for the future tense, since a reasonable number of
implementations exist. Here's a python implementation of TLS 1.1:

http://pkgsrc.se/security/py-tlslite

It comes with a demo HTTP server. See how many clients can connect
when you use the mandatory cipher from TLS 1.1, and credentials that
contain things like Chinese characters, Euro symbols, and
"smartquotes". On the plus side, you won't have any problems with
authentication databases, because the credentials sent are reusable
with any message and authentication scheme, at any time.

--

Robert Sayre