Did we forget the IETF motto about running code ?

I do understand that there is a need to alleviate risks in the
operational network, so a traditional operational IPv4 network has to
be maintained until a vast majority of IETFers have assessed the proper
operation of IPv6.

But this doesn't prevent to operate a more advanced technology
simultaneously. Someone has to start and experiment the shortcomings,
if the IETF is not doing it no body is going to do it or nobody is
going to be put any trust in a new technology. IETF has to pioneer this
as it did so far (multicast, security, IPv6, and hopefully more will
experimented at the IETF).

Anyway, IPv6 is not experimental, it runs alright in operational
networks.

What I think the IETF should experiment now at a wider scale is the
transition tools between IPv6 and IPv4. This would only be meaningful
if results of the experiments are published, for instance in the IETF
journal.

Regards,
Thierry.

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 16:18:11 -0700
Dave Crocker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> +1
>>
>>      RFC1883 is not new.
>

>Neither is X.400, TP0, or many other specs.  But then, that's not the issue.
>
>The issue is operational risk.
>
>d/
>
>--
>
>   Dave Crocker
>   Brandenburg InternetWorking
>   bbiw.net

Thierry ERNST, PhD
INRIA Rocquencourt France Project-Team IMARA / JRU LARA
http://www.lara.prd.fr +33 1 39 63 59 30 (office)
--
The coming end of the IPv4 world: http://penrose.uk6x.com