    David> Hi, The issue was raised during ISMS WGLC that there is a
    David> difference between our use of the word authenticate and the
    David> glossary in RFC2828.  Since ISMS extends SNMPv3, ISMS is
    David> using terminology consistent with the SNMPv3 standard,
    David> which reflects English usage.

First, I'll only speak to 2828; 2828bis is not an IETF product and I
disclaim all interest in it.

    David> I think re-defining the word authenticate is not a good
    David> idea. I think it will not help the IETF write clear and
    David> unambiguous specifications to redefine words for IETF usage
    David> that are already clearly defined in English. if we want new
    David> keywords, then the IETF should invent new terms, not
    David> redefine existing terms.

It's my understanding that the definition of authenticate in 28282 is
a subset of the English definition.  If you don't think that is the
case I'd like to hear your reasoning.

    David> I encourage the security community to provide an
    David> informational glossary. I recommend that if a document
    David> author wants to use terminology consistent with RFC2828bis,
    David> they should state that, and list the specific
    David> RFC28282bis-consistent terms used in their document in a
    David> "Terminology" section.
Agreed.

    David> But I do not think the glossary terms should be required
    David> usage in the IETF,

They are not required usage.  However to the extent that they are
agreed usage (and I think 2828 basically is), you need to have a good
reason for using a different definition of the same word.  "Please be
consistent with the terminology we tend to be using elsewhere" is a
reasonable (and often blocking) comment to make on a document.  There
are valid reasons to disagree with such a comment.

--Sam