John C Klensin wrote:
The only way that I see a new email infrastructure emerging is
as a part of a more general infrastructure to support
multi-modal communication, both synchronous and asynchronous,
bilateral and multilateral, Instant Messaging, email, voice,
video, network news all combined in one unified protocol.

Of course, such a protocol would have much greater odds of
success if it was also less complex than either SMTP or SIP,
provided absolutely reliable sender authentication and message
integrity that typical users could fully understand and
utilized, and also cured cancer.

Well, this thread is entirely too timely for me to pass up the opportunity of citing:

"Is It Time to Replace SMTP?"

   tiny: <http://tinyurl.com/35m64e>
full: <http://www.cisco.com/web/about/ac123/ac147/archived_issues/ipj_10-2/102_smtp.html>

In the current issue of IPJ.