Olaf,

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 09:31:18AM +0200, Olaf M. Kolkman wrote:

> >>The IAB, obviously, favors expedient deployment of DNSSEC in the DNS
> >>root.
>
> David Kessens asked:
> >Is there any activity by the IAB to achieve this goal ?
>
> In addition to statements like the sentence above there  is a bit of
> 'silent diplomacy'.

Considering that the root is still not signed, is the IAB considering
a different approach than 'silent diplomacy' towards achieving this
goal ? I would like to note that the RIPE community has issued a
public statement (http://www.ripe.net/ripe/wg/dns/icann-root-signing.pdf)
while I have not seen anything directly addressed to ICANN from the
IAB. I would expect that the IAB, with it's Internet Architecture
interest in mind, should be taking a much more active and public role
as delays in DNSSEC deployment at the root level may very well inspire
short-term non optimal solutions that will affect the overal security
architecture as defined by the IETF for the DNS.

> Besides, under the header of "leading by example"
> we are working with the operators of the zones for which the IAB has
> certain responsibility to get those signed (e.g. [1]). For example
> the RIPE NCC will be announcing that they will be signing E164.arpa
> any time soon (see [2],[3] for the ongoing message exchange).

I appreciate this.

David Kessens
---