John C Klensin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > But we're talking here about IETF standards, specifications
> > that are prepared cooperatively and for free by talented
> > individuals, companies and countries around the world. These
> > specifications are intended for implementation everywhere to
> > facilitate communications among us all.
>
> Larry, with all due respect, if you substitute "ISO/IEC JTC1" or
> "IEEE" (at least in the computer and communications areas for
> both) in the above statements, they will still be true.  The
> IETF is not particularly special in this regard.

I agree.  There are very good reasons to insist in all fora where
standards for protocols and data formats are developed that such
standards must not be patent-encumbered.

> To me, the question is simply one of whether trying to insist on
> an unencumbered regime (whether for technical, economic, or
> moral/ religious reasons) is important enough to justify
> rejecting, a priori, any encumbered technology.  The IETF has
> decided, repeatedly, that the answer is "no" and "we want to
> look at these things on a case-by-case basis and evaluate the
> tradeoffs".  While the part that follows the "no" differs, that
> is the same conclusion reached by ISO, IEC, IEEE, and others.

However the economic importance of insisting that standards must
not be patent-encumbered is increasing.  Therefore the decisions
of the past can not validly be accepted as strong arguments against
Larry's current initiative.

> If you want to pursue this further, I think it would be helpful
> if you started supplying arguments that we haven't heard,
> repeatedly, before.

Do you have a list of the arguments that you have heard so often
already that you're not interested in hearing them again?

Greetings,
Norbert.

--
Norbert Bollow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                      http://Norbert.ch