Brian E Carpenter wrote:

> mosts CDs seem to have index pages of some kind - something like
> http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcxx00.html would do it (and that is
> always up to date, whereas STD1 is normally out of date).

IMO they should resume to publish ??00 RFCs as STD 1 at least when
there is a new or updated STD.  If they really hate it there should
be a "last" STD 1 deprecating itself.  Some tools (not only offline
collections with an old snapshot) and users still expect that STD 1
exists, whatever 2026bis says, a last STD 1 also needs to be clear.

>> Removing the right to initiate a "standards actions" from the
>> community is a bad idea.  That's not "aligning with reality", I
>> tested it, it works like a charme, the RFC in question meanwhile
>> got its number.

> I didn't intend that at all. Where do you find that?

3.14 == old ==
| or, in the case of a specification not associated with a Working
| Group, a recommendation by an individual to the IESG.
3.14 == new ==
| or, in the case of a specification not associated with a Working
| Group, an agreement by an Area Director to recommend a
| specification to the IESG.

You move the "action" right from the community to IESG members.

I also hated it when you (or Jari ?) did in essence the same with
the right to create a "Pubreq" for non-WG documents.

> don't you think there should be an appeal path if an IANA-
> considerations expert reviewer makes a dubious decision?

Yes, my two examples were for both sides, there's no WG Chair who
could "protect" expert reviewers...

> Document editors aren't appointed by the IESG, so wouldn't be
> covered by my language.

...good, I missed "by the IESG" after "appointed to IETF roles".

 Frank