On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 08:45:19AM -0700, Christian Huitema wrote a message
which included:
>using pseudonyms is a form of free speech

I am not familiar with the specifics of this case but in the internet world
pseudonyms is very common.
I agree that in a standard setting body hiding identities isn't a good practice
and I would recommend to that the WG chair or the IESG Area Director will have
the authority to ask for the identity of a member. We don't have to invoke that
but it could be an addition to RFC 3683.

Tamir Melamed > Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 10:47:39 +0100> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Re: Possible RFC 3683 PR-action> CC:
ietf@ietf.org> > On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 08:45:19AM -0700,> Christian Huitema
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote > a message of 12 lines which said:> > > Does the
IETF have a policy regarding misrepresented identities?> > I don't know but, in
this case, the problem is not that he used a> pseudonym (after all, noone here
knows if my name is really Stéphane> Bortzmeyer), the problem is that he used
*two* identities, the second> one being setup only to workaround a PR-action.>
> If a WG chair asks for five reviewers for an I-D, what will you think> if
they are all the same person under different identities? > > There is no
written rule today, because, before He Who Must Not Be> Named, noone was
twisted enough to act that way.> > > In the particular incident, it is assumed
that the person using the> > name of a famous French aviation pioneer is in
fact someone else. On> > the one hand, using pseudonyms is a form of free
speech. > > Nothing to do with the use of pseudonyms. That's a red herring.> >