The problem is that [EMAIL PROTECTED] is not globally unique.

        MIT users will have problems talk to [EMAIL PROTECTED] when "ai" means
        Anguilla.  The is a current security issue.

        If / when MIT stop using ai.mit.edu, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" will not longer
        mean [EMAIL PROTECTED]  This will mean that any configuration file
        that has "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" will now, suddenly, get a different
meaning.
        This is a latent security issue.

If by "latent" you mean "so obscure that in the ten years that there's been A and MX records at TLDs nobody's been affected" I guess I agree.

R's,
John