Paul Hoffman wrote:

>> It has to be tuned for the "or more" part of "one or more".

> I can't fully parse your meaning, but I think I disagree.

Yes, I also think we disagree.  I prefer one file and URL per
figure, avoiding all questions of TARs / ZIPs / JARs / TGZs
to bundle them.

> The RFC Editor, on a case-by-case basis, can choose to have
> one file containing multiple figures, or multiple files.

Can we maybe agree on "one subdirectory" for these "packs" ?

I'd like to have a "one-click interface" (IPR: ammazon) per
figure.  You mentioned GIF and PDF.  Of course it's somehow
possible to put more than one image in a GIF89a - after all
that's how "animated GIFs" work.  But it's then a pain to
get at an individual image.  Similar PDFs can have multiple
parts, but there is no way to address individual parts in
URLs.

Your art-proposal is more KISS than John's PDF-proposal and
therefore better, but IMO still not yet simple enough.

> The important thing is that the URLs used by the RFC Editor
> for any art needs to be long-lived and not tied to the
> format of the artwork.

Yes, but mixing my rfc5110a.svg, rfc5110b.png, etc. idea with
your rfc5110.art idea is possible: rfc5110.a01, rfc5110.a02,
and so on.

 Frank
--

http://purl.net/xyzzy/home/test/draft-hoffman-utf8-rfcs-01.txt