Sorry for the last minute nature of this email, but I was checking with folks active in the standards bodies that use EAP-AKA.

After some conversations and thought, I think that the goal of "limiting the effects of compromised access network nodes and keys" (should that be clarified?) can be achieved with fewer changes to AKA. I like that we are trying to define a new method. I guess I can appreciate the move to SHA-256 (although are we claiming that HMAC-SHA-1 is a problem?). However, it is quite confusing in that the new method AKA's tries to be backward compatible and forward compatible (KDF negotiation).

AKA' with old KDF, AT_KDF set to 1, seems to cause quite a bit of confusion by raising the issue of how would the backward compatibility really work. Why is the old KDF needed with AKA'?

The channel bindings and the CK' and IK' stuff seems also to be confusing. It was interpreted at least in one context as using key derivation to enforce EAP channel bindings (which is really not necessary). As it is, we are talking about method-level channel bindings, which then seems to be confusing elsewhere.

I am wondering whether we can fix this all up before going forward with approval.

For simplicity, I believe, we should just specify AKA' as a new method with no attempt at backward compatibility. Next, I think we should work on channel bindings at EAP level and not at the method level, especially given that AKA is used so widely.

thanks,
Lakshminath