"Contreras, Jorge" <jorge.contre...@wilmerhale.com> writes:

> My point was that code was already broadly licensed under the OLD
> copyright rules in 3978, so the post-5378 contributor doesn't face the
> same predicament when he/she re-uses pre-5378 code as when he/she
> re-uses pre-5378 text (i.e., his/her warranty is TRUE when made with
> respect to pre-5378 code fragments).  Here's the code license granted
> under 3978:
>
>       (E) to extract, copy, publish, display, distribute, modify and
>           incorporate into other works, for any purpose (and not limited
>           to use within the IETF Standards Process) any executable code
>           or code fragments that are included in any IETF Document (such
>           as MIB and PIB modules),

Those rights are only granted to 'the ISOC and the IETF', not to third
parties, see the paragraph above (E):

   a. To the extent that a Contribution or any portion thereof is
      protected by copyright and other rights of authorship, the
      Contributor, and each named co-Contributor, and the organization
      he or she represents or is sponsored by (if any) grant a
      perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty-free, world-wide
      right and license to the ISOC and the IETF under all intellectual
      property rights in the Contribution:

Third parties get no rights under RFC 3978.

/Simon