At 10:39 AM -0700 1/24/09, Doug Ewell wrote:
>John Levine <johnl at iecc dot com> wrote:
>
>>Nonetheless, I can't help but seeing angels dancing on pins here. We're
>>worrying about situations in which someone contributes material to the IETF
>>that ended up in an RFC, then later goes to court and claims to be shocked
>>and injured that someone else used his material in ways that RFCs are
>>routinely used, i.e., someone acts like a complete jerk.
>
>It could happen.  Remember that some people who participate in a WG, and
>contribute one or two bits of information that make their way into the RFC,
>are unhappy overall with that group's rough consensus.  Not all
>"contributions" are positive or direct; an author might add wording
>specifically to ward off a rogue interpretation that someone in the WG
>"contributed."  If you think this is improbable, read some of the appeals that
>the IESG has had to address in the past 3 years or so.

You are missing John's point, which you elided below the quote above. If
someone is a jerk and irrationally aggrieved, nothing we say in a boilerplate
will prevent them from suing the IETF and incurring great costs in time and
money. A very very careful boilerplate *might* cause them to be less likely to
win damages, but balancing that against the time and effort we put into the
boilerplate is literally impossible to do.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium