The IESG <iesg-secret...@ietf.org> writes:

> Since the third Last Call, RedPhone Security filed IETF IPR disclosure
> 1026.  This disclosure statement asserts in part that "the techniques
> for sending and receiving authorizations defined in TLS Authorizations
> Extensions (version draft-housley-tls-authz-extns-07.txt) do not
> infringe upon RedPhone Security's intellectual property rights".  The
> full text of IPR disclosure 1026 is available at:
>
>       https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1026/
>
> This Last Call is intended to determine whether the IETF community
> had consensus to publish  draft-housley-tls-authz-extns as a
> proposed standard given IPR Disclosure 1026.

Given the patent disclaimer from RedPhone, I'm against publishing this
as a proposed standard.

It seems no license is demanded to implement the technology, which is a
step in the right direction.

It also seems clear that RedPhone will demand a license for _use_ of the
technology.  Practical use-cases appears to be covered by this demand.
That makes the technology unsuitable as a proposed standard to me.

I am also concerned that the earlier patent disclaimer #765 is not
available:

  https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/765/

This makes it impossible for the community to review the history around
the licensing conditions.  This seems contrary to the requirements of
RFC 3979 aka BCP 0079:

   Copies of IPR disclosures made to the IETF Secretariat and any
   assurances of licenses to be made available, or the result of an
   attempt made to obtain a general license or permission for the use of
   such proprietary rights by implementers or users of this
   specification can be obtained from the IETF on-line IPR repository at
   http://www.ietf.org/ipr.

Thus it seems the policies around patent disclosures have not been
followed by the IETF itself here.

/Simon