Simon Josefsson wrote:
I consider the inability to include immutable text in software
released under the GPL a bug in the GPL.

Nobody forces you to use the GPL, so if you perceive a problem I suggest
to use another license for your program.  However, the IETF should not
prevent implementers from using the GPL, for the same reasons IETF
should not prevent Microsoft from using its EULA as the license.

BTW, this means that at least one program I have released under the
GPL is illegal; it includes the GPL as a part of the source code, and
since the GPL text is immutable according to the GPL, it is illegal
(by this logic) to include it in source code, since the source has to
be free of restrictions upon its modification.

I don't see how that makes the program illegal.  It just makes it harder
for others to redistribute it safely because the licensing information
is unclear.
Simon,

the example is at http://counter.li.org/scripts/machine-update. Take a look.

There is a single file that contains both the program source and the GPL.
I want to release this under the GPL.

Now, I have three possible interpretations:

1 - The words of the GPL that say "Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim copies of this license document, but changing it is not allowed." don't really apply in this case. 2 - The words of the GPL that say "You may modify your copy or copies of the Program or any portion of it, thus forming a work based on the Program, and copy and distribute such modifications or work under the terms of Section 1 above" don't apply to modifications of the portion of the Program that is the GPL
3 - I'm breaking the GPL

Now, with your extensive knowledge of what the GPL means for included text .... which is it?

                          Harald