On 2009-11-24 06:44, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 08:16:49 -0500
> Scott Brim <scott.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Simon Josefsson allegedly wrote on 11/23/2009 5:03 AM:
>>> John-Luc said he is bound by confidentiality obligations from his
>>> company, and I think the same applies to most employees of larger
>>> organizations.  There is nothing explicit in BCP 79 to protect
>>> against this apparent conflict of interest, or is there?
>>    Since disclosure is required
>>    for anyone submitting documents or participating in IETF
>> discussions, a person who does not disclose IPR for this reason, or
>> any other reason, must not contribute to or participate in IETF
>> activities with respect to technologies that he or she reasonably and
>> personally knows to be Covered by IPR which he or she will not
>> disclose.
>>
> Precisely.  The conflict Simon mentions was of course known to most of
> the WG; that's one reason we have that clause.

IMHO, BCP79 creates no particular problem for corporate lawyers who
are instructed by their corporate management to ensure that the company
behaves as a good citizen in its standards activities. This is strongly
in the company's interests, anyway, since failure to disclose when
required by a standards process threatens the validity of the patent.

It really is not the IETF's problem. It is a problem for a company that
chooses not to behave as a good citizen.

   Brian