In the UK we use day-month-year. I have never seen  year-day-month.

day-month-year and year-month-day are both logical formats I can use.
the us norm of year-day-month is the only one that I find profoundly
illogical. I would usually require it to be re-written in an
unambiguous form in company docs.

For filenames I would recommend the ISO format as it collates correctly.

Which is of course why our British version of the Internet had a
naming system that worked in the logical order msb->lsb  uk.co.ac.ox

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 10:13 AM, bill manning <bmann...@isi.edu> wrote:
> ISO not withstanding, its still confusing if only because other cultures use
> yyddmm.  If the IETF website used something like  ISO-2010-01-02 maybe.
>
> This format is less confusing:  02jan2010
>
> --bill
>

> On 13March2010Saturday, at 7:06, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
>

>> On Mar 13, 2010, at 9:51 AM, Cullen Jennings wrote:
>>

>>> I just got abused by someone reading the IESG web pages and pointing out
>>> dates like 2010-01-02 , are confusing. Is there a better way to do dates
>>> that we should be using on the ietf.org web pages?
>>>

>> I would disagree. This follows an ISO standard, ISO 8601, and also happens
>> to sort properly (in time order).
>>
>> From http://www.iso.org/iso/date_and_time_format
>>
>> ISO 8601 advises numeric representation of dates and times on an
>> internationally agreed basis. It represents elements from the largest to the
>> smallest element: year-month-day:
>>       • Calendar date is the most common date representation. It is:
>> YYYY-MM-DD
>>
>> where YYYY is the year in the Gregorian calendar, MM is the month of the
>> year between 01 (January) and 12 (December), and DD is the day of the month
>> between 01 and 31.
>>
>> Example: 2003-04-01 represents the first day of April in 2003.
>>

>> So, 2010-01-02 is January 2, 2010.
>>

>> Regards
>>
>> Marshall

New Website: http://hallambaker.com/
View Quantum of Stupid podcasts, Tuesday and Thursday each week,
http://quantumofstupid.com/