Cullen,

I believe that the RFC 3261 ABNF *is* plain incorrect. It allows the
generation of text representations including ":::" and that is
clearly not intended to be allowed by the description in RFC 4291.
(Being precise, it says "The "::" can only appear once in an address."
whereas I can find it twice in ":::".)

Actually there is another bug too, as first noted by Markku Savela
in February 1999:

>> >However, appears that this doesn't allow "::123.222.2.22" type of
>> >addresses. On the other hand, it would pass dubious things like
>> >"FFF:::<ip4>", so I'm still looking for the correct syntax...

History: the faulty ABNF first appeared in RFC 2373 but was dropped
from RFC 3513 because it was known to be wrong. Unfortunately RFC 3261
picked it up from 2373.

Impact: http://[2001:4860:b006:::67] fails (with Firefox and IE; I have
no easy way to check it in a SIP implementation). It should fail, and
should never be generated.

However, I do agree that we could state in the document
that implementations which *cannot* generate the faulty ":::"
construct do not need to be changed and that implementations
that *can* accept the faulty ":::" construct do not need to
be changed.

Implementations that disallow "::<IPv4>" would need to be fixed,
but I suspect that is highly unlikely and a very marginal case.

Regards
   Brian