On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 03:58:22PM +0200, Ben Campbell wrote:

> >> -- date-and-time, pattern and description:
> >>
> >> Which is the normative description for date-and-time? The ABNF in
> >> the description, or the pattern attribute? I assume the second, but
> >> fear the presence of ABNF will make others assume the first.
> >
> > Ideally, they should be consistent - and I hope they are. The ABNF is
> > more detailed - if you read the comments - and copied from RFC 3339.
> > If we make a change, we should completely remove the ABNF from the
> > description and simply leave the pointer to RFC 3339, e.g.
> >
> >  For a more detailed description, see section 5.6 of RFC 3336.
> >
> > Since the ABNF is copied, this does not really change much unless RFC
> > 3336 gets updated perhaps. For now, I have left things as they are but
> > I am open to be convinced to remove the ABNF if someone feels strongly
> > about this.
>
> I don't feel strongly--it was just a mild general concern that duplicate
> _normative_ text can lead to future errors if, as you say, the RFC gets
> updated. But if you see value in having the ABNF in the description, that's
> okay with me. At the most, it might be worth putting a comment in the
> description to see the RFC for the full normative definition.

Since there is an explicit reference to RFC 3336, I think this is
covered. Many of the data types document formats that are described in
other documents and there is a general trade off what to include and
what to leave out and to include by reference. I guess it is at the
end a judgement call and at this stage of the process, I simply prefer
to minimize changes.

/js

Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany