David, thank you for reviewing our draft.  Your suggestions were helpful.

It was a pleasure talking with you on the phone.  I'm glad we had a chance to
discuss the points you raised.

We addressed all the issues you raised in the next draft, draft 18.

Regards,
Phil

On Mar 29, 2010, at 6:43 PM, <black_da...@emc.com> <black_da...@emc.com> wrote:

> [...]
> change the SAS on the fly in audio.  There is an obvious exception to this
> difficulty - if one of the parties on the call is an automated system, its
> voice response reading the secret is likely to have a predictable structure,
> and its vocalizations are likely to be easily recordable and/or otherwise
> forgeable by an MiTM.  This should be noted in the security considerations
> section after the paragraph on voice spoofing at the bottom of p.99, with a
> strong recommendation that credentials be provisioned at the automated system
> sufficient to use either the 7.2 signature technique or 8.1.1 integrity
> protection technique, and that those techniques always be used with
> pre-recorded or synthesized voice.
>
> If the first call between two parties does not include voice confirmation of
> the SAS that instance of the protocol is MiTM-able.  The Introduction glosses
> over this by using the phrases "reasonable authentication against a MiTM
> attack" and "key continuity properties analogous to SSH".  While I believe
> both phrases are correct, the Introduction should also point out that the
> first call with no prior shared key material is MiTM-able, as is the case for
> SSH, as not every reader of this draft can be expected to be familiar with
> that aspect of SSH security.
>
> [*] Unlike SSH, ZRTP updates the shared secret used to block MiTM attacks on
> every call.  This makes it impossible to backup and restore that secret
> because the backup becomes invalid on next use of the secret.  If a phone has
> to be hard reset (not unheard-of), it loses all of its secrets unless a
> backup is conducted immediately prior to the hard reset (not always possible
> as the failure requiring a hard reset may block backup).  This should to be
> pointed out as a counterpoint in the Security Considerations discussion of
> the requirements for protecting long-lived non-updated shared secrets, as
> used by SSH.
>
> This ongoing shared secret update may increase the protocol's practical
> vulnerability to MiTM attacks because the participants cannot distinguish
> presence of an MiTM attacker from one party having lost its secret (or even
> the most recent update to the secret - a soft reset of the phone at exactly
> the wrong moment may cause this).  If the parties assume that the most common
> reason for setup failure is that a secret has been lost, an MiTM attacker
> inserts can mimic that by inserting herself in a call, thereby causing both
> sides to believe that the secret has been lost.  She then attacks the
> resulting initial run of the protocol - if voice confirmation of the secret
> is not used on that run, the attack succeeds.  Because this attack can be run
> at the time of the attacker's choosing, it is absolutely essential that the
> SAS's be confirmed by voice in this situation.  This is well described in the
> body of the draft, with appropriate use of MUST, but the following text in
 ity Considerations section is too weak (IMHO), even though it uses the word
"must":

Philip R Zimmermann    p...@mit.edu
(spelled with 2 n's)   http://philzimmermann.com
tel +1 831 425-7524    http://zfone.com