On Jun 15, 2010, at 5:57 AM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

> But in a Betamax/VHS type contest, attempting to differentiate the new
> through obfuscation merely raises barriers to transition. In that
> circumstance you want to minimize the differences between the two
> technologies so that they can be used interchangeably.

So, things like implementing getaddrinfo() to replace gethostbyname() and as a
result making the applications network layer agnostic. The kind of thing that
not only helps with IPv6 deployment, but makes multi-homing work well for the
IPv4-only application as well, makes solutions like pnat irrelevant, and all
that.

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2553.txt
2553 Basic Socket Interface Extensions for IPv6. R. Gilligan, S.
     Thomson, J. Bound, W. Stevens. March 1999. (Format: TXT=89215 bytes)
     (Obsoletes RFC2133) (Obsoleted by RFC3493) (Updated by RFC3152)

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3493.txt
3493 Basic Socket Interface Extensions for IPv6. R. Gilligan, S.
     Thomson, J. Bound, J. McCann, W. Stevens. February 2003. (Format:
     TXT=82570 bytes) (Obsoletes RFC2553) (Status: INFORMATIONAL)

Supported in Windows, Mac/BSD, Linux, you name it. Been there a long time.

Yes, all we need is application engineers with a network clue. They seem to be
hard to come by.

I have a solution. Let's go through those OS's and rename gethostbyname to
GetHostByName. Put in huge comments everywhere that the character string is
found (man pages, which btw already have this, and in the code itself) "if you
use this, you're an idiot". Make folks use their heads momentarily.