On 17 Jun 2010, at 13:30, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:
> On 06/17/2010 01:38 PM, Sabahattin Gucukoglu wrote:
>> Just in case someone here wants to take sides, have a look at this thread on
>> the IPv6 discussion list at Apple:
>> http://lists.apple.com/archives/ipv6-dev/2010/Jun/msg00000.html
>> (the thread actually goes back earlier than that, but I can't be bothered
>> going looking for it because I can't stand that awful PiperMail interface)
>
> What I've never understood is why (almost) everyone tries addresses in
> sequence instead of in parallel.
>
> Even applications that routinely open two or more concurrent connections to
> the server first try IPvX, then wait many seconds, then try IPvY. Why not try
> both in parallel and use whatever address answers first?

It's Apple we're talking about here.  Have a look at this for some nasty
surprises:
http://www.fix6.net/archives/2010/03/06/the-strange-behavior-of-apples-mdnsresponder/

Admittedly this is just for DNS, but I think it illustrates the general
problem, you can't win, you can't break even, and you can't even quit the game
with this one.

Cheers,
Sabahattin