On Jul 5, 2010, at 10:05 AM, Alissa Cooper wrote:

> A few months ago I drew up a strawman proposal for a public-facing IETF
> privacy policy (http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-cooper-privacy-policy-00.txt).
> I've submitted an update based on feedback received:
> http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-cooper-privacy-policy-01.txt
>
> In discussing the policy with the IAOC and others, it seems clear that the
> RFC model is probably not the best model for maintaining and updating a
> document like this. It is more likely to fall within the scope of the IAOC
> and/or the Trust. In order for the IAOC to consider taking this on and
> devoting resources to figuring out what its format should be, they need to
> hear from the community that a public-facing privacy policy is something that
> the community wants. So I have two requests for those with any interest in
> this:
>
> 1) Respond on this list if you support the idea of the IETF having a privacy
> policy (a simple "+1" will do).

+1

> 2) If you have comments and suggestions about the policy itself, send them to
> this list.

I would be very happy if the IETF adopted the privacy policy proposed in your
draft.

It seems to me the work of writing an acceptable policy is 90% done and the
arguments that creating a privacy policy will detract from other work are
pretty weak. It's a volunteer organization, people vote with their feet with
what they want to work on. Just because Alissa spend time writing a policy
document does not mean that time would be directed to other things if we did
not want to do a privacy policy document. I don't think that having a privacy
policy is going to bring a bunch of new contributors to the IETF, but I can
imagine a case where the lack of a privacy policy caused some administrative
group to do something really unfortunate which resulted in some good people
leaving the IETF.

A privacy policy is not something the IETF typically has a lot of people that
are really experienced and qualified to draft. But we are very lucky here - we
have multiple people that understand IETF culture and values, understand
internet privacy policies and laws, and are willing to write a proposal. Unless
this proposal is deeply flawed in some way I can't see, why wouldn't we just do
it.