On Jul 8, 2010, at 12:08 PM, Fred Baker wrote:
> Boy, would they dispute that. ITU has claimed that the IETF is not an open
> organization because a government cannot join it. Most membership
> organizations, RIPE, being an example, have a definition of how someone can
> become a member (members of RIPE are companies and pay a fee), and are
> considered open to that class of membership.

But the IETF isn't a membership organization - isn't that
at least in part what's meant by "open," and why at least in
part we don't have voting (in theory)?

> That is of course true. I think my comment stands. If the IETF is not the
> only organization in the world in which otherwise rational people expect to
> pay money for privileges, make material contributions that might change the
> world, and might have companies off suing each other over IPR, and
> none-the-less expect to remain absolutely anonymous, it is one of a very
> small number.

I'm not a big fan of anonymity here, mostly because I don't
know how consensus would work - in practice - with anonymous
participants, as well as several of the issues you've identified.
I don't think that "nobody else does it" is a good argument,
unless what it actually means is "few companies will allow their
employees to contribute to an organization with those kinds of
policies," which is a very compelling argument.

But I don't think privacy are that tightly coupled and I wonder
what a privacy policy should say about that.

Melinda