At 8:57 PM -0400 7/17/10, John C Klensin wrote:
>--On Saturday, July 17, 2010 08:42 -0700 Paul Hoffman
><paul.hoff...@vpnc.org> wrote:

>>> (2) In Section 4.4.2, note that there are definitional and
>>> procedural problems if one tries to talk about a single rule
>>> for full domain names.  It is possible, and has been the only
>>> option until very recently, for a fully-qualified IDN to
>>> contain both "traditional" and "internationalized" labels.
>>> IDNA2008 avoided a number of definitional problems by being
>>> defined strictly in terms of labels for just that reason.
>>> In particular, conversion of an all-ASCII label to an A-label
>>> is undefined and meaningless: such a label is not a U-label
>>> and hence cannot be converted.  One needs to parse the string
>>> into labels, determine for each label whether it is
>>> "traditional" or
>>> "internationalized", and then apply the appropriate rule. I'd
>>> recommend rewriting 4.4.1 and 4.4.2 in terms of labels, not
>>> FQDNs.
>>
>> Here we (may) disagree. 4.4.2 is already in terms of labels:
>>    If the source domain of a reference identifier is an
>>    internationalized domain name, then an implementation MUST
>> convert    every label in the domain name to an A-label before
>> checking the    domain name.
>
>> Are you saying that the correct wording should elide "If the
>> source domain of a reference identifier is an
>> internationalized domain name, then" and just start at "An
>> implementation MUST"? That would work for me.
>
>That would probably be an improvement.  But my problem was with
>"every label" and a sticky detail of IDNA2008: the only things
>that can be converted to A-labels are U-labels.  One cannot
>convert an LDH label to an A-label, nor can one convert
>something that was already an A-label into an A-label.  Those
>operations are just not defined.  So I think this should be
>"every internationalized label" or (probably better) "every
>non-traditional label" or something to that effect.

Sounds good to me. Suggested edit for Paul and John to sing kumbaya:

4.4.2.  Checking of Internationalized Domain Names

   The term "internationalized domain name" refers to a DNS domain name
   that conforms to the overall form of a domain name (dot-separated
   labels) but that can include Unicode code points outside the
   traditional US-ASCII range, as explained by and [IDNA2008].

   An implementation MUST convert every non-traditional label in the
   domain name to an A-label before checking the domain name.

> >> (3) Note that anything that requires that an application
>>> program parse a FQDN that might be an IDN into labels should
>>> probably have a Security Considerations note about the risks
>>> if various dotoids leak into the relevant environment.
>>
>> Errrr, why should this document be forced to have such a
>> warning when the IDNA2008 documents don't?
>
>The IDNA2008 base document sort of dodge the problem by dealing
>with labels, not FQDNs.

... fully dodge...

>If I recall, you have some "beware of
>leaks" language in Mapping, but I might be wrong.

We talk a bit about leaking into the app; this document is about certs and
identities, and those identities don't necessarily come from the apps.

>In any event,
>the reason it occurred to me as something that might be useful
>to say here is that the functions of this document would be,
>IMO, particularly sensitive to having someone want to store a
>name with the local label separator convention and that would be
>a problem.  Possibly not more serious than other places, but
>still possibly worth mentioning.

But this would cause a false negative, not a false positive. It seems to me to
be the same as many false negatives such as the app storing U+00B2 instead of
U+0032.

>In any event, I consider the topic worth mentioning but
>definitely not a showstopper.

Agree.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium