On 2010-07-30 08:47, Dave CROCKER wrote:

> On 7/29/2010 10:00 PM, Fred Baker wrote:
>> If we're going to continue this avalanche of ad hoc meetings that we call
>> "Bar BOFs", I would recommend that the Secretariat provide a web page for
>> requesting them. The title of the web page should be "Poorly Planned
>> Meetings" or something like that.
>

> In other words, let's make unofficial, ad hoc meetings be formal and
> scheduled.
>
> Fred, like you, I'm delighted to see the activity.  However just because
> there is interest in having formal, scheduled activities that are not
> qualified to be BOFs, we do not need to have IETF administration support
> them with extra services.  Let's let these self-initiated efforts remain
> what they are.  If they can garner attendees, that's fine.  If they
> can't, better luck next time.  Even with the excellent title you
> suggest, the web page will move these activities down the slippery slope
> of formality.
>
> The way to make a more rational schedule for the week is to schedule
> less, not more.

I learned a lesson in, now where was it?, oh yes, Anaheim. I decided to
have a Bar BOF, decided that the Hilton bar really wasn't convenient,
borrowed a room from Marcia, invited a few people, was asked to advertise
it on the wiki, and ended up with every seat taken in quite a big room.
The discussion was good, but not overwhelmingly successful, and a lot
of people just sat there quietly. (Admittedly, there was very little
else to do in Anaheim for those over ten years old.)

I wish it had just been six of us at the bar.

    Brian