Dave,

> These numbers probably need to be correlated with the venue of each meeting.
> One would expect higher Asian attendance at an Asian venue, and so forth.
> Controlling for venue could produce a very different interpretation of the
> numbers.

I think that shows up clearly in the numbers.

> More substantively I heard someone ask a particularly useful question that
> is, unfortunately, challenging to answer:  Namely, what is the distribution
> among the folks who are doing primary work.  That is, what is the
> distribution among IETF management, working group chairs and authors?  (There
> are serious workers who are not among this set and should also be counted,
> but I've no idea how to label and include them in this subset analysis.)
>
> Meetings are subject to a substantial spike in local attendance.  These folk
> are, of course, quite welcome, but they typically do not contribute much to
> the
> actual work of the IETF.
>
> Because the primary goal of an IETF meeting is to get work done, knowing the
> distribution of workers might inform efforts to choose venues.

A question for you.  Should we select meeting venues to minimize the
cost/time/etc. of all attendees or just, for example, w.g. chairs?  Many people
have suggested that the IAOC should be looking at overall attendee costs, but
there might be a difference in what group we try to optimize.

Personally, I lean toward more openness and would prefer to do optimize for all
attendees.

> To my knowledge, nothing is recorded that makes this analysis straightforward.
>
> My impression is that perhaps 1/4-1/3 of the attendees are long-term IETF
> workers who will go anywhere, with perhaps 1/3-1/2 being much more recent
> repeat attendees.  Attending multiple meetings is a good indicator of some
> involvement -- since that's the criterion for Nomcom participation -- but
> it's probably only a moderate predictor

As an experiment, I just did some averaging of the data to try to remove the
local effect.  I removed the attendance number for local attendees.  That is,
if the meeting was in Europe, I removed the Europe attendance number.  Then I
averaged over the past three meetings and for the whole series.  My thinking
was that the non-local attendees are probably the core IETF attendees.  It
should remove the local effect.

For the past three meetings it was:

Africa          1%
Asia            30%
Europe          26%
North America   41%
Australia       2%
South America   1%

For all of the meetings it was a little different (higher % in NA, less in
Asia, about the same in Europe).  I not sure it is as valid since there was
only one meeting in Asia and many in North America.

PDF below with the numbers.

Bob