U.S. customs is the least of my worries in this situation.  In the 15 years
that I've been attending these sorts of meetings, I've never needed a visa
of any sort ahead of time.

Can you please point me to an official website that suggests that there is a
visa waiver program for us attending the IETF meeting in China?

Mary.