On 2010-08-27 11:36, Dave CROCKER wrote:

>> True, but the same property means that scanning attacks are infeasible
>> against IPv6 subnets. Attack tracking based on subnets may work
>> fine, though. Swings and roundabouts.
>
> Your original comment was about differences in vulnerabilities.  You
> asserted that there was no fundamental difference and I was observing
> that one difference that is clear and is already of concern to the
> anti-spam/anti-abuse community does quality as a fundamental
> difference.  (It is likely to render and entire infrastructure of
> address-based white- and black-listing useless.)
>

>> Anyway - nobody is saying that there are no security issues with IPv6.
>
> How is your statement, above, not saying /exactly/ that?

We must interpret the word "fundamental" differently. The fundamental
issue we are getting at in your example is basically that it's trivial
to forge layer 3 addresses in a connectionless datagram network running
without cryptograhic signature of every packet. The exact exposures and
countermeasures differ between IP versions, of course.

   Brian