On 2010-09-04 08:13, Richard Bennett wrote:
>  Thank you for replying Brian. I've not only read the requisite RFCs,
> I've also implemented DiffServ over 802.11e. My implementations, like
> those of everyone else who has done this, invoked the prioritization
> mechanisms in 802.11e. This is a very common case. Another common case
> implements DiffServ using 802.1d priorities.

Diffserv is about layer 3 queuing mechanisms. It isn't about mapping
to primitive layer 2 prioritisation.

We did keep backwards compatibility with IP Precedence in diffserv,
and I suppose one could implement those particular PHBs by mapping them
to layer 2 prioritisation. But the more subtle PHBs like EF and AF
simply cannot be mapped to preemptive priority queues without
destroying their defined semantics.

> If you want to say that DiffServ is not itself a priority scheme but
> rather a system for selecting the use of priority schemes at the Data
> Link (or comparable facilities,) you're making a distinction that's too
> fine for the press.

No, I am not saying that. That is IMHO a faulty interpretation
of the intent of diffserv. In particular, I don't see how one can
read RFC 2597 and RFC 3246 and imagine that they can be mapped to
layer 2 priority.

> As Russ is now invoking your message to support his
> view that payment for premium service is contrary to the wishes of IETF,
> that's a problem.

He's not saying that. He's effectively saying what I'm saying: payment
models are outside the scope of the standards, which don't require any
particular payment model in order to perform their job.

   Brian