On Sep 22, 2010, at 9:44 AM, Paul Hoffman wrote:

> At 10:21 AM -0600 9/22/10, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> On 9/14/10 12:51 AM, Stefan Santesson wrote:
>>> General:
>>> I would consider stating that server certificates according to this profile
>>> either MUST or SHOULD have the serverAuth EKU set since it is allways
>>> related to the use of TSL and server authentication. At least it MUST be set
>>> when allowing checks of the CN-ID (see 2.3 below).
>>
>> [..snip..]
>

> What possible advantage is there to making certificates that do not have this
> flag set be excluded from the practices you are defining? That is, if a TLS
> client gets a certificate from a TLS server that the TLS server says is its
> authentication certificate, why should the client care whether or not that
> flag is set? That flag is an assertion from the CA, not from the server who
> is authenticating.

Does this point need discussion?  Without checking, I suspect that 5280 says
you obey the EKU, period.  OTOH I think Paul raises a valid point.

OTOH (again) one could argue that the EKU provides a way to prevent a stolen
cert/key issued to the machine for a different function from being repurposed
to support a fake server.  (I'm not convinced this is significant, but it's
something.)

Absent discussion and consensus, I vote for whatever 5280 says, which I suppose
is what the current silence on the topic equates to.