On Oct 6, 2010, at 1:45 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 12:43 PM, Keith Moore <mo...@network-heretics.com>
> wrote:
> The central problem with the Internet seems to be that nearly everybody who
> routes traffic thinks it's okay to violate the architecture and alter the
> traffic to optimize for his/her specific circumstances - and the end users
> and their wide variety of applications just have to cope with the resulting
> brain damage.
>
> Objective observation suggests that the Internet architecture *is* that
> anyone who wants to can molest traffic in any way they feel fit.

If a bomb hits a famous building, we don't generally call the resulting rubble
part of the building's architecture.

(unless, maybe, it's the Hiroshima Peace Dome, which was repurposed to
commemorate perhaps the worst man-made disaster in history.)

> But really, I do not understand why people have to fetishize the constancy of
> IP addresses end to end. IP addresses are not particularly interesting to
> look at.

It's one of the two fundamental principles on which the Internet is based.
Universal packet format, universal address space.  That's IP in a nutshell.

Keith