My two cents. Having implemented both models in Blink client (Blink is a free
download if someone cares and wants to experiment with both MSRP models), I can
comment that I do not like the acm model. The relay model is simply better,
cleaner and more secure.

Adrian

On Oct 14, 2010, at 3:27 PM, Cullen Jennings wrote:

> [...]
>>> certificate
>>> authorities, or using self-signed certificates together with certificate
>>> fingerprints.
>>>
>>> Having said that, however, we DO agree that the terminology you suggest is
>>> more
>>> appropriate than what we have used and we will introduce this terminology
>>> and explain
>>> it in the Convention section of the sessmatch draft.

>>> A media intermediary can only do this if it is an MSRP B2BUA, and sessmatch
>>> was
>>> introduced just to avoid most SBCs and ALGs having to implement an MSRP
>>> B2BUA in order
>>> to allow standard MSRP deployment.

>>> We will explicitly mention this.

>>> That is correct, but there should be no problem for a single MSRP process
>>> (single
>>> IP address and port) to direct requests to different virtual recipients -
>>> based
>>> on the session-id instead. It is only needed for the different virtual
>>> recipients
>>> to inform the receiver process on which session-ids that are currently
>>> negotiated
>>> instead of informing it on which domain name the virtual recipient shall be
>>> associated with.

>>> It is not true that there is no backwards compatibility. If there are no
>>> SIP ALGs/SBCs in the SIP/SDP signalling path then there is no problem for
>>> MSRP
>>> implementations that do not support the sessmatch extension to receive MSRP
>>> sessions from implementations that do.
>>>
>>> MSRP implementations that do not support the sessmatch extension are
>>> however not
>>> able to establish MSRP end to end conversations if there are ALGs/SBCs in
>>> the
>>> session path (unless these implement MSRP B2BUA) and sessmatch does not
>>> change this
>>> fact – it will not work disregarding if the other endpoint supports
>>> sessmatch or not.

>>> Sessmatch does not change the fact that name based TLS authentication for
>>> MSRPS
>>> will fail if an SBC or ALG has modified the hostname value in the MSRP URI
>>> in the
>>> SDP a=path attribute without also acting as MSRP B2BUA.
>>>

>>> Comments from Ted
>>> =================

>>> We will clarify what impacts there are.
>>>
>>> -------

>>> We will clarify that sessmatch conformant UAs do not use MSRP URI matching
>>> in
>>> order to perform MSRP session matching.

>>> Sessmatch removes the URI matching as a means to do MSRP session matching,
>>> and
>>> replaces it with a pure session-id matching. There is no need to create a
>>> new
>>> URI scheme that does not re-use the authority component. We believe the
>>> 80-bit randomness of the session-id, together with the fact that the UA