Scott, I'm confused about one thing you say:

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 8:41 AM, Scott O. Bradner <s...@harvard.edu> wrote:
> I think the community should only change its processes with careful
> deliberation
> taking into account the interplay of the different factors
> I think it is better to not fiddle, even if the current documents
> do not paint an accurate picture, I think we need to be serious
> when changing our basic rules.

You seem to be saying that we have to carefully deliberate, consider
many factors, and be serious if we want to *change* the basic rules...
but that it's OK to *ignore* the basic rules and do whatever we want,
with no deliberation, consideration, or seriousness (this is what
we're doing now).

As I see it, the reason we need to do *something* here -- and I think
Russ's proposal is a good start for it -- is exactly that we're
largely ignoring those basic rules and making up a new system without
serious consideration.

Barry