On 3/29/2011 11:17 AM, Sam Hartman wrote:
One level is the traditional protocol interoperability we normally
discuss.

Another level shows up when you want to write a cross-platform
application.  It's not good enough if Windows has some API. I want to
have confidence that functionality is available on Windows, OSX, Linux
and some of the mobile platforms before I depend on that functionality
in a cross-platform API.

Within the web platform, I want to make sure functionality is available
on multiple browsers before I depend on it in my cross-browser
application.

With respect to application-level system design, I think your distinction is equivalent to component-testing vs. integrated system testing. Within the IETF, it should be a distinction between lower-level end-to-end and upper-level end-to-end.

I certainly agree that upper-level end2end testing is essential.

The Other Dave C's highlighting the possibility of an "abstract" API is also worth considering.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking