John,

On 2011-04-15 01:10, John C Klensin wrote:
> But, remembering that the IASA has only the purpose of making
> the extended IETF (including the IAB) work more efficiently, I
> see a somewhat different question.  The roles and resource
> requirements of the IAB and IETF Chairs have expanded
> dramatically over the last several years..

We really need to understand that better, and the underlying
reasons for it, in some detail. I don't think that cherry-picking
parts of the jobs to be delegated should be the starting point.
We really need to start by reviewing all the tasks together and
then decide what should be changed. I'd really like to hear from
Olaf, Bernard and Russ what has changed in the workload in the
last few years. You are of course correct that if the workload
is constantly increasing, it will make NomCom's task very hard.

Certainly the IASA/IAD/IAOC reorganisation produced a noticeable
reduction in the IETF Chair workload, but what has changed since
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-carpenter-ietf-chair-tasks-00 ?
It would be good to have a similar analysis for the IAB chair role.

Regards

     Brian