On 2011-04-22 05:49, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> On 4/21/11 10:38 AM, Dave CROCKER wrote:
>>
>> On 4/20/2011 2:21 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>>> In the case of the IETF Chair I believe the issue is that it's
>>> highly desirable, from a governance viewpoint, that the IETF Chair
>>> has *personal* responsibility in IAOC decisions,
>>
>> Why?
>>
>> What happens if the person in that role is not specifically "accountable"?
>
> We have the potential for disconnect between the business of the ietf
> and the business of running the ietf. We had that before so it's not a
> hypothetical scenario.

Exactly. My personal experience as IETF Chair was that the administrative
work, which we engineers have a lordly tendency to dismiss as trivial,
is truly vital to making the IETF work properly. I just can't conceive
of an IETF Chair decoupling from the chain of responsibility for this.

Just to repeat myself: the IAOC workload represents a substantial
*reduction* of the IETF Chair workload (and stress load) compared to the
pre-IAOC situation.

>> And by the way, what does it mean to be accountable in the way that you
>> consider so important?
>
> It means that the ability to perform the iaoc function is a
> consideration for filling and retaining the role of ietf chair.

Exactly. An IETF Chair who doesn't see this as fundamental would be
a bad choice.

>> What actions flow from that accountability?

Failure in this part of the role would be a strong signal
to NomCom if the Chair wants to re-up, and dramatic failure
would be potential grounds for recall.

   Brian