SM:

> s much as I would like to use the IESG as a scapegoat, the reality is that
> IETF working groups also work briskly to on impediments.  Section 4 mentions
> that "the rules that prohibit references to documents  at lower maturity
> levels are a major cause of stagnation in the advancement of documents".  I
> beg to disagree.  Quoting RFC 4897:
>
>  "With appropriate community review, the IESG may establish procedures
>   for when normative downward references should delay a document and
>   when downward references should be noted."
>
> There is an IESG statement [1] about that.  I'll highlight the following
> sentence:
>
>  "Normative references specify documents that must be read to
>   understand or implement the technology in the new RFC, or
>   whose technology must be present for the technology in the
>   new RFC to work."
>
> Quoting RFC 2026:
>
>  "Standards track specifications normally must not depend on
>   other standards track specifications which are at a lower maturity
>   level or on non standards track specifications other than referenced
>   specifications from other standards bodies."
>
> Let's take a document moving to Draft Standard as an example.  When we talk
> about "down-ref", it is the maturity that is the issue.  What it means, in my
> opinion, is that the  referenced (normative) Proposed Standard can be changed
> in ways which affect the stability of the "Draft Standard" document.  An
> implementation that is compliant with the Draft Standard may end up being
> incompliant overnight as the group that worked on the referenced Proposed
> Standard found some good reason for adding some requirements.   Having
> down-refs on the "No Fly" list can be an impediment.  By explicitly calling
> out the down-ref during a Last Call, the IETF offers a means to evaluate
> whether the document can live with the down-ref.
>
> I commented a week ago on the down-refs in RFC 5953 which is being advanced
> to Draft Standard.  One of the down-refs could be fixed easily.  Another one
> could be addressed with some rewording.  Sometimes, such a change is not
> possible.  In a distant future, the IETF community might come to terms with
> the notion that down-refs are not evil.

My person experience with advancing documents is that downrefs are a
significant hindrance.  As you point out, procedures have been adopted to
permit downrefs, but they are not sufficient.  We often see Last Call repeated
just to resolve a downref that was caught very late in the process.  These
intoduce delay, and they almost never produce a single comment from the
community.

Russ