Over the weekend I attempted to determine the rules for discussion of drafts
at IETF meetings and was surprised to discover that they are not actually
written down anywhere (other than on the meetings page). As a result we
appear to have an anomalous situation in which an author who misses the
cut-off date for ID submissions is in fact entitled to sit on the draft for
two weeks and then submit when the ID queue re-opens.

I suggest that this is a sub-optimal state of affairs. I see two solutions:

1) Codify the requirement that materials to be discussed at the meeting must
be submitted before the cut-off and that submissions made during meetings
are strictly limited to revisions occurring after and between WG sessions.
[Except in exceptional circumstances with AD approval]

2) Eliminate the 2 week cut off completely.

My strong preference is the first. I cannot see any point in suspending what
is now an automated system in advance of meetings if it means that instead
of having the materials available a week before the meeting they are only
available after the meeting has started.

I am pretty sure that I remember this discussion in a plenary at the time
that publication of drafts was automated and publication during meetings was
no longer an exceptional circumstance.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/