On Sep 26, 2011, at 12:47 PM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> On 26 Sep 2011, at 18:41 , Keith Moore wrote:
>
>> The problem isn't in the difficulty of finding these changes and fixing
>> them, for currently maintained code.  The problem is in the zillions of
>> systems in the field that have assumptions about 240/4 wired into them, most
>> of which either have no automatic upgrade mechanism, aren't set up to use
>> it, or aren't being maintained.
>
> This is the traditional problem with using 240/4, but it doesn't really apply
> in this specific case, because those addresses will only be touched by the
> CGNs in the ISP network, the routers in the ISP network and the home gateways.

and the "home" gateways _never_  expose their external addresses to internal
hosts or applications?    not even via NAT-PMP or UPnP?

(are they really "home" gateways in all cases?)

seems to me that if you're an ISP and have the luxury of upgrading all of the
CPEs, that's a very compelling case for DS-Lite instead of relying on more v4
address space kludges.  but of course the devil is in the details.

Keith