On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 8:37 AM, Dave CROCKER <d...@dcrocker.net> wrote:

> On 10/24/2011 4:09 AM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>
>> It's really not that big a deal.  Make sure that audio is working,
>>> that there's a Jabber scribe/Jabber room watcher

>  I have a concrete suggestion for WG chairs: don't ask for a "Jabber
>> scribe" (which makes it sound as if the hapless volunteer needs to type
>> everything that's said into the chatroom) but instead ask for someone to
>> relay comments from the chatroom to the mic.
>>

> Basic question:  what has been the claimed purpose for doing jabber
> scribing?
>
> I thought it was a means of produce raw minutes.  A side -- and sometimes
> extremely valuable -- benefit is as a relatively real-time alternative
> source of information about what is being spoken; this can be quite helpful
> for participants who are not native English speakers.

That is how I use it. In that interpretation, there only needs to be one
scribe, with is an advantage.

Another BIG advantage of this is that if I write (as a jabber scribe)
something like

Audience member ? : this proposal conflicts with RFC <mumble>

I am likely to get a rapid response providing what <mumble> means and who
the speaker is. After the fact, this sort of thing is much harder to
reconstruct.

A disadvantage is that it typically overwhelms normal discussion on the
jabber channel. I have suggested that each
session get _2_ jabber channels, one for chat, one for scribing, but so far
this has not gotten any support.

Regards
Marshall