On 2011-10-28 09:07, John C Klensin wrote:

> --On Thursday, October 27, 2011 14:24 -0500 Mary Barnes
> <mary.ietf.bar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>>   No food or beverages are allowed to be brought into the
>>>   meeting rooms and working group sessions unless
>>>   specifically served by the IETF.
>
>> [MB] In my opinion, everyone should be sharing their views
>> about this. I'm hoping that this is similar to the movie
>> theater rule in the U.S. as those of us with dietary
>> restrictions for medical or personal reasons will most likely
>> need to bring food (I certainly will).  And, given that it's
>> recommended not to drink the water, I  wonder about the
>> quality of the potable water, so I plan also to bring my own
>> water.  [/MB]
>
> I've already mentioned this to the Secretariat and IAD.    IMO,
> there are three separate issues:
>
> (1) The restriction itself, for precisely the reasons you give
> and some obvious variations on them.

It's quite unacceptable, especially for bottled drinks.

> (2) The fact that the restriction has only now been announced,
> after I assume that a large fraction of those who had planned to
> attend have made non-refundable commitments.  If it is the case
> that the rule can safely be ignored on your "movie theater"
> principle when necessary, that is no big deal.  If the intention
> were to enforce it strictly enough that it might make the
> difference between attendance and non-attendance for some
> people, then the late announcement is a very big deal indeed.

I assume that most people will ignore such a restriction, and I
would expect that any attempt to enforce it would completely fail.

> (3) It is normal in the facility contracts, as with many other
> types of contracts, to have a provision that the contract and
> its attachments are the entire agreement and that neither party
> can change or add to the rules without the consent of the other.
> Do the contracts negotiated by the IAOC not have such
> provisions?  If they do, why is this announcement being made at
> this time?  And, if not, does anyone have any predictions about
> the next little surprise?

I was once at a conference where the building security people
patrolled continuously, and whenever they spotted somebody with
a laptop plugged into a power outlet in a floor recess, they ordered
them to unplug it immediately because of the "trip hazard". This
provided an entertaining game of whack-a-mole for several days.

   Brian