--On Thursday, January 05, 2012 06:48 -0800 Dave CROCKER
<d...@dcrocker.net> wrote:

> (One can quibble about the difference between algorithm and
> program.  An algorithm is a component of a program.  The
> distinction is relevant here because a protocol is typically a
> complete mechanism rather than being a component of the
> mechanisms.  On the other hand, an entire Internet service
> might comprise multiple protocols.)

Or an algorithm is an abstraction (usually mathematical as
distinct from some other sort of specification)  and the program
(or part of it) is a specific realization of that abstraction.
The difference between that distinction and the one you make is
that we have a long history of correct algorithms and incorrect
or inadequate implementations.

   john