On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Tim Bray <tb...@textuality.com> wrote:
> One consequence of your proposal, if adopted, is that there will need
> to be a specification of the canonical Internet-time-to-Sidereal-time
> function, so that in the long run, the time that your computer says it
> is will correspond with what you observe looking out the window. The
> Internet will be around long enough that this will indeed become a
> problem.
>
> I'd want to look at that specification before getting passionate pro
> or contra in this argument. -T

The people who really care about this (i.e., astronomers) already use
TAI to do it.

I have written such code (more than once), the first thing you do is
to find UT1 - TAI, then proceed with various rotations from
there.

50 years ago, using UTC as an approximation to UT1 when you didn't
happen to have a multi-million dollar, multi-ton, mainframe in your
pocket made sense. Today, when that same power (or, actually, more) is
in your smart phone (if not your toaster), it doesn't.

Regards
Marshall