In message <201202231651.q1ngpxgl017...@fs4113.wdf.sap.corp>, Martin Rex writes
:
> Bob Hinden wrote:
> >
> > Martin Rex wrote:
> > >
> > > With a fully backwards compatible transparent addressing scheme,
> > > a much larger fraction of the nodes would have switched to actively
> > > use IPv6 many years ago.
> >
> > Right, just like they could have deployed dual stack many years ago too.
>
> Just two days ago I had an extremeley disappointing experience with IPv6.
> Windows XP 64-bit (aka Win2003sp2) on a local network with a private
> DNS universe, IPv4 only network, Windows IPv6 protocol stack installed
> but IPv6 active only on the two virtual network interfaces of VMware.
>
> Somehow the DNS servers configured in the network settings had performed
> only a partial zone reload and were replying only to some queries,
> failing some DNS queries with server failure or timeout,
> and one DNS zone had become completely invisible.
>
> I noticed the problem suddenly during work because every new connection
> took ~16 seconds delay to complete.  Wondering what was wrong, I started
> wireshark.
>
> I saw Windows2003 send out 23 DNS lookups for AAAA records for the
> requested hostname over the course of 16 seconds (some of which returned
> server failure, some of which failed with no such name),
> until Windows 2003 finally decided to also try a DNS A query--which got
> immediately successfully answered and the connection was established.
> The delay affected each and every connection attempt, even when contacting
> the same host repeatedly (although there is a DNScache service running...).
>
> Disabling IPv6 on all network adapters did not stop this Windows AAAA frenzy,
> I had to actually uninstall the IPv6 protocol stack (an action which
> immediately kills *ALL* network connectivity of the machine and requires
> a reboot to recover...) for this AAAA nonsense to end.
>
> During the past few years I had two similar encounters with sudden severe
> connectivity problems on a Windows XP and a Linux installation, and
> both times, the problem disappeared when I disabled IPv6.
>
> It is also significantly easier to configure the firewall for IPv4-only...
>
> -Martin

We (ISC) learned a long time ago (last century) that partial DNS
service for a zone is worse than total failure for a zone.  By
totally failing a zone on error it gets fixed instead of trying to
limp by on partial service.

I also suspect the search algorithm is not stopping on NOERROR
NODATA or SERVFAIL.  Searches really should stop on both those
conditions.  By stopping I mean not going onto the next element
in the search list without getting a NXDOMAIN response.  You
can ask multiple servers on SERVFAIL.

I've been arguing this for around 10+ years.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: ma...@isc.org