On Mar 16, 2012, at 2:13 PM, David Meyer wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 2:03 PM, Fred Baker <f...@cisco.com> wrote:
>> The question I would ask is: "who are the vendors marketing to, and what are
>> they selling?" At NANOG, that's fairly clear; companies like Cisco and
>> Juniper, and resellers like Network Hardware, are selling to their
>> customers, who are often technical decision makers or senior staff in
>> companies that buy the stuff. The vendors that sponsor the event go home
>> with business cards, which give them the opportunity for sales contacts
>> after the event. Those people also come to IETF, but many others at IETF are
>> from exactly those vendors, or from research and academia. I'm not convinced
>> that the lead generation exercise, which is the vendor's reason for showing
>> up and sponsoring the event, is going to be as useful for them.
>>
>> Not opposed to the experiment, but not sure that we're comparing apples to
>> apples.
>
> While I agree Fred, what the beer'n'gear really provides is another venue for
> our community to socialize (just like any other social event).

Of course, and socializing is a good thing. What I'm looking at is the reason
for the vendor to sponsor it. When I come to your and my boss and say "gee,
let's spend a few hundred thousand dollars in the general direction of
ISOC/IETF", I have to scramble a bit to answer a long list of questions headed
by "what's in it for me?" and "who's budget does this come from?". I think I
can say what question I would be asked if I said "let's be a beer'n'gear
sponsor". I'm not sure that the answer I would give ranks with the one NANOG
might give.