On May 9, 2012, at 12:28 PM, SM wrote:

> Hi Yoav,
> At 00:44 09-05-2012, Yoav Nir wrote:
>> What the IETF writes in its policy amounts to a plea to users to
>> pretty please send only factual information. I don't know that it
>> makes a difference as to who is liable if the information turns out
>> to be non-factual.
>
> Section 3 text mentions several paths for the issue, i.e.
> responsibility lies with the working group chair with escalation to
> area directors.  Paragraph 2 and 3 discusses about that.  The issue
> which predates this draft is mentioned in the message at
> http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg71484.html
>
> Do you know any IETF participant who is dumb enough to send a public
> request for sanctions? :-)

Dean Anderson often linked to his website:
http://www.av8.net/IETF-watch/People/ (also loads of fun without the "People"
path). IANAL but this does sound like libel.

More recently, but not related to IPR issues, during the last IETF quite a few
of our prominent members were calling for sanctions (removal of posting
privileges) after some of the IETF.Fact.Check posts.

> That can affect the individual's carrier
> path in the IETF and in the corporate world.  Some IETF participants
> might even ask lawyers to take action.  Watching "Behind enemy lines"
> (disambiguation required) might be instructive in this context.
>
> At the end of the day, this draft is simply a matter of having an RFC
> for those who might find the information helpful.  Sometimes all one
> can do is to say "pretty please".
>
> I'll +1 this draft as it stands.

I'm fine with it as it is. I just hope the IETF is not held responsible for
postings by individuals.