On 5/16/2012 7:34 AM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
On Wednesday, May 16, 2012 07:31:53 AM Dave Crocker wrote:
On 5/16/2012 7:28 AM, Randy Bush wrote:
can != may

one is ability, the other permission

When we were first taught English grammar, yes.  Today, not so much.

Actually pretty much never.  In modern usage, the distinction has been lost.

I must be ancient then as I still use this distinction (and similarly
would/could).

I try to too. The issue isn't with those of us who generate the distinction but the masses that don't hear it and seem not to know of it.

This sort of change in language, across a few decades, seems to be extremely common.

d/

--
 Dave Crocker
 Brandenburg InternetWorking