Responding to the Last Call for comments, I think the draft is well done and
will be very useful in helping people understand what the CDNI effort is all
about.

My only substantive comment is that there is another use case related to IPv6
that could be spelled out under section 4.1, "Device and Network Technology
Extension":

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-cdni-use-cases-08#section-4.1

The text for the additional use case could be:
----
3. CDN-A only supports IPv4 within its infrastructure but wants to deliver
content over IPv6.  CDN-B supports both IPv4 and IPv6 within its
infrastructure. CDN-A interconnects with CDN-B to serve out its content over
native IPv6 connections.
----

In truth this could be seen as a variation of use case #1 in this section,
"CDN-A cannot support a specific delivery protocol," and is similar to the
reference to HTTPS in use case #1.  However, when I read that use case I find
myself thinking about higher level delivery protocols and not something as
fundamental as IP.

Plus, given that we'll be in the IPv4/IPv6 transition for some time, it may be
useful to specifically highlight how CDNI could assist in the transition to
IPv6.

Again, I think it's a good document that should be published.

My 2 cents,
Dan

P.S. Well, I will also admit that the comma in the first sentence of the
abstract bothers me: "Content Delivery Networks (CDNs) are commonly used for
improving the End User experience of a content delivery service, at a
reasonable cost." I think that comma could be removed... but I'll leave that
for the grammarians to duke it out... :-)

On Jun 20, 2012, at 9:14 AM, The IESG wrote:

> The IESG has received a request from the Content Delivery Networks
> Interconnection WG (cdni) to consider the following document:
> - 'Use Cases for Content Delivery Network Interconnection'
>  <draft-ietf-cdni-use-cases-08.txt> as Informational RFC

> final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
> ietf@ietf.org mailing lists by 2012-07-04. Exceptionally, comments may be
> sent to i...@ietf.org instead. In either case, please retain the
> beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.
>
> Abstract
>

>   Content Delivery Networks (CDNs) are commonly used for improving the
>   End User experience of a content delivery service, at a reasonable
>   cost.  This document focuses on use cases that correspond to
>   identified industry needs and that are expected to be realized once
>   open interfaces and protocols supporting interconnection of CDNs are
>   specified and implemented.  The document can be used to guide the
>   definition of the requirements to be supported by CDN Interconnection
>   (CDNI) interfaces.  It obsoletes RFC 3570.
>

> The file can be obtained via
> http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-cdni-use-cases/
>
> IESG discussion can be tracked via
> http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-cdni-use-cases/ballot/
>

> The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:
>
>   http://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1764/

Dan York  dy...@lodestar2.com
http://danyork.me/   skype:danyork
Phone: +1-802-735-1624
Twitter - http://twitter.com/danyork
All comments and opinions are entirely my own and have no connection whatsoever
to any employer, past or present. Indeed, by tomorrow even I might be
disavowing these comments.

Dan York  dy...@lodestar2.com
http://www.danyork.com/   skype:danyork