(I hope not to open some Pandora box or a long thread - my goal is to
make sure there is clarity in the language of the statement)

What 'IETF protocol specification' means here?

Pretty clear it covers protocols defined in IETF standards-track
documents.

Does it also cover protocols defined (described) in Informational RFCs
which are part of the IETF stream?

Dan

One